This cake will have your home smelling like fall all day long.
Freezes well for ~3 months if you have leftovers. Best served with a HUGE scoop of vanilla ice cream, and maple syrup.
Brown Sugar Pumpkin Coffee Cake
This recipe has been modified from the original recipe: “Crazy for Crust: Pumpkin Coffee Cake“
Makes: 1 round cake
Time to prepare: 15 minutes prep, 30 minutes baking time
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
For the brown sugar topping:
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup crushed walnuts
WHAT DO I DO?
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Use a round baking pan and spray with non-stick cooking spray on all sides and bottom.
- BOWL 1: Whisk pumpkin puree, greek yogurt, vanilla and almond milk. Add in sugar, baking powder, salt and pumpkin pie spice. Switch to a wooden spoon and stir in the flour. The batter will be very thick. Pour into baking pan.
- BOWL 2: Mix melted butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and flour with a fork. Add in the crushed walnuts and switch to mixing with your hands. Drop tiny dollops of mixture on top of the cake batter.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Wait until it cools down before serving.